YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- Recipients of the 2014-15 Judge Sidney Rigelhaupt and Attorney Bert Rigelhaupt Pre-Law Scholarship were honored at a Thursdayin Williamson Hall on the campus of Youngstown State University.
The scholarships, funded by a $1 million trust held by the Farmers Trust Co., are intended to help YSU students from Mahoning and Trumbull counties who plan to attend law school after earning their undergraduate degrees from YSU.
More than 60 students have benefitted from the scholarship since its inception in 2007. In that time, nearly $350,000 has been awarded.
“Many of Rigelhaupt Scholarship recipients have gone on to distinguished law school careers,” said Paul Sracic, chair of the YSU Department of Political Science and director of YSU Rigelhaupt Law Center . “The amazing generosity of the Rigelhaupt brothers continues to help those YSU students who aspire to become lawyers to take the first step to fulfilling that dream by obtaining an undergraduate degree.”
The trust is the result of a gift from the late Mahoning County Common Pleas Judge Sidney Rigelhaupt and his brother and law partner, the late Bert Rigelhaupt. Both Rigelhaupt brothers were graduates of the former Youngstown College of Law.
“The Rigelhaupts were long time trust clients who were greatly interested in education for students in Youngstown,” said James H. Sisek, chairman of Farmers Trust Co. “Their estate plan will continue to assist students in perpetuity.”
The 2014 recipients of the Rigelhaupt Scholarship are:
- Chelsea Ellis of Youngstown, a junior political science major.
- Lindsey Harrison of Warren, a senior political science major.
- Jesse Huber of Hubbard, a senior political science major.
- Patrick Kiraly of Youngstown, a junior industrial engineering major.
- Kelly Matanin of Hubbard, a freshman political science major.
- Robert Miller of Vienna, a senior political science/history major.
- Shannon Mitchell of Campbell, a senior political science major.
- Shawnna Moore of Youngstown, a junior social work major.
- Briana Scott of Youngstown, a freshman accounting major.
- Evangelos Sisalouis of Campbell, a freshman political science major.
- Derek Smith of Campbell, a senior political science major.
- Matthew Stevens of Canfield, a junior political science major.
Charles Wilson of Warren, a senior political science major.
- Live customer support 24/7 through emails, phone and online chatting through the Pogo>PNC Bank website.
SOURCE: YSU News Center
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our free daily email headlines and to our twice-monthly print edition.